Today I head off to New Paltz to move back into my apartment for the semester. It’s shocking how quickly the summer went by. In my last post, I complained that the summer was a “bit of a bust” (https://abbeygallagher.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/what-i-actually-learned-something-this-summer/) but when I thought about it, I did a lot of cool stuff. And since we all know I like lists…here’s another one!
The Cool Things I Did This Summer (this blog is becoming my second journal…uh-oh):
2. Volunteering at Blythedale Children’s Hospital. Assisting in a second grade classroom where the kids taught me more than I could have ever taught them.
3. Wisdom Tooth Removed. Never want to relive that. Too bad I still have two more to get pulled. Yikes.
4. She & Him in Concert. Probably on the hottest day of the summer but who cares? Zooey and M. Ward brought the house down!
5. Got a tattoo! In my dad’s handwriting.
6. Made a significant dent in a dessert at Serendipity’s in New York.
7. Taught my first violin lessons. On our first lesson, she didn’t even know the names of the strings. Now, she’s reading music and plays “Happy Birthday” like nobody’s business!
8. Read An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin, Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp and My First New York (various authors). I should’ve read more.
9. Spent time with my second and third families. My dad’s best friend, Nina, and the Garecht’s, from which Aunt Kara comes from. I got to see her two daughters perform in great community theater productions and was so proud of them!
10. Finally decided to pursue my dream. New York, you don’t know what’s coming for ya!
Now that I’ve reflected on the past, I want to vow to do some really great things this upcoming semester. Here’s a list of resolutions that I think I will be more likely to stick to if I share them with all of you!
1. Strike a balance. Between classes, friends, writing, and music. That should be easy enough, right?
2. Eat healthy. Eat happy.
3. Read more books outside of class. My list is already a mile long. No joke.
And that’s only the books I don’t own yet. I’ve got about twenty unread books on my shelf that are waiting for me. Not to mention this one! 4. Make a writing schedule and stick to it (aside from the blog). Otherwise, nothing will ever get done!
5. Complete my NYU application. There’s no way I’ll be able to get in if I don’t accomplish this!
6. Concerts! I’m already going to see Grace Potter & the Nocturnals and the Allman Brothers on September 7th. Jake Bugg on the 17th. And Johnny Flynn on the 23rd. Music is my religion.
7. Keep up on current events. Good Morning America does not count.
8. Most of all, ENJOY MYSELF.